There are many reasons why a toe can hurt. Here are a few reasons why a toe can hurt:
- Infection- the skin in between the toes is a moist environment, and more vulnerable to fungal and bacterial infections. Any small crack in the skin can be the beginning of an infection.
- Over-activity- any increase in activity beyond what your body is used to can cause stress to the joints and ligaments of the toe.
- Toe sprain- mechanically stubbing the toe or catching it on a piece of furniture can cause immediate pain and swelling of the toe. If the swelling persists, it can become a “sausage toe”, which can cause residual pain.
- Arthritis- some forms of arthritis symptoms first start in the small joints of the toe.
- Improper fitting shoe gear- wearing shoes too small or too large for your feet can cause toes to hurt.
- Tight heel (Achilles tendon) cords- causing toes to curl and become fatigued.
- Inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema, inherited blister conditions, ingrown toenails, corns.